Spicy sausage surrounded by jumbo shrimp pair perfectly with a sweet and smoky sauce. Chef Tony, Michaela Bradley, and special guest Debbie Polian, wife of David Polian, the director of player personnel, show us how to grill these simple skewers.
SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE SKEWERS
- 3-4 smoked Cajun sausage links (about 10 oz)
- 16 jumbo shrimp (peeled, deveined)
- Cooking spray
- 4 (12-inch) bamboo skewers
- ½ cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Cut sausage into ½-inch slices (16 slices). Coat both sides of shrimp with cooking spray.
- Thread tail of shrimp onto skewer, then a sausage slice, then the other end of shrimp (so that shrimp hugs sausage). Repeat until four shrimp and sausage pairs are on each skewer.
- Combine remaining ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high 2 minutes, stirring once, or until liquefied.
- Place skewers on grill; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp just begins to turn pink.
- Brush jelly mixture over shrimp; cook 1 more minute on each side or until shrimp are fully pink. Serve.
- All recipes are courtesy of Publix Aprons Cooking School.
- Tony Charbonnet is the resident chef of Publix Aprons Cooking School in Jacksonville.
- Michaela Bradley is a mother of four, fitness instructor, supporter of the Jaguars Women’s Association and wife of Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley.