Game Day Grub is back for a new Jacksonville Jaguars season! In this new segment, Chef Tony and Michaela Bradley are joined by Connie Sullivan, wife of wide receivers’ coach Jerry Sullivan, to cook up a quick and easy version of the Bayou and low country favorite, Shrimp and Grits.
Shrimp and Grits video
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3 cups water
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 (16-oz) bag frozen gumbo vegetables blend (okra, corn, peppers, onions, celery)
- 12 oz peeled/deveined shrimp (thawed)
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes with garlic/onion (drained)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook grits according to package instructions and keep warm.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Cut bacon into bite-size pieces. Place bacon in pan (wash hands); cook 4-6 minutes or until crisp.
- Stir gumbo vegetables in to bacon; cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients (except green onions); cook 3-4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink and opaque. Meanwhile, slice green onions.
- Stir grits before serving. Serve shrimp over grits; sprinkle with green onions.
- All recipes are courtesy of Publix Aprons Cooking School.
- Tony Charbonnet is the resident chef of Publix Aprons Cooking School in Jacksonville.
- Michaela Bradley is a mother of four, fitness instructor, supporter of the Jaguars Women’s Association and wife of Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley.